Effective date: March 5, 2021
- Information Vanta Collects and Receives
Vanta may collect, generate, and receive Service Data and other information and data (“Other Information”; Service Data and Other Information collectively “Information”)) in a variety of ways:
- Service data. Customers and individuals granted access to a Customer Instance by a Customer (“Authorized Users”) may submit Service Data to Vanta when using the Services.
- Other information.
- Account information. To create or update a Vanta account, you or a Customer (e.g., your employer) supply Vanta with an email address, phone number, password, domain and/or similar account details. In addition, Customers that purchase a paid version of the Services provide Vanta (or its payment processors) with billing details such as credit card information, banking information and/or a billing address.
- Usage information.
- Services metadata. When an Authorized User interacts with the Services, metadata is generated that provides additional context about the way Authorized Users interact with the Services. For example, Vanta logs what Third Party Services are connected with the Services (if any).
- Log data. As with most technology services delivered over the Internet, our servers automatically collect information when you access or use our Websites or Services and record it in log files. This log data may include the Internet Protocol (IP) address, the address of the web page visited before using the Website or Services, browser type and settings, the date and time the Services were used, information about browser configuration and plugins, language preferences and cookie data.
- Device information. Vanta collects information about devices accessing the Services, including type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers and crash data. Whether Vanta collects some or all of this information often depends on the type of device used and its settings.
- Location information. Vanta receives information from you, your Customer and other third parties that may help Vanta approximate your location. Vanta may, for example, use a business address submitted by your employer, or an IP address received from your browser or device to determine approximate location. Vanta may also collect location information from devices in accordance with the consent process provided by your device.
- Third-Party Services. A Customer can connect Third-Party Services to its Customer Instance. Typically, Third-Party Services are software services that integrate with Vanta Services, and a Customer can permit its Authorized Users to enable and disable these integrations for its Customer Instance. Vanta may also develop and offer Vanta applications that connect the Services with a Third-Party Service. Once enabled, the provider of a Third-Party Service may share certain information with Vanta. For example, if a single sign on service is connected with Vanta, Vanta may receive the username and email address of Authorized Users, along with additional information that the application has elected to make available to Vanta to facilitate the integration. Authorized Users should check the privacy settings and notices in these Third-Party Services to understand what data may be disclosed to Vanta. When a Third-Party Service is enabled, Vanta is authorized to connect and access Other Information made available to Vanta in accordance with any permission(s) granted by Customer (including, by its Authorized User(s)). Vanta does not, however, receive or store passwords for any of these Third-Party Services when connecting them to the Services.
- Contact information. An Authorized User is required to provide some contact information (e.g., an email address) when making an account on the Services.
- Third-party data. Vanta may receive data about organizations, industries, lists of companies that are customers, Website visitors, marketing campaigns and other matters related to our business from affiliates and subsidiaries, our partners, or others that Vanta engages with to make Vanta’s own information better or more useful. This data may be combined with Other Information Vanta collects and might include aggregate-level data, such as which IP addresses correspond to zip codes or countries. Or it might be more specific: for example, how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
- Additional information provided to Vanta. Vanta receives Other Information when submitted to our Websites or in other ways, such as if you participate in a focus group, contest, activity or event, apply for a job, enroll in a certification program or other educational program hosted by Vanta or a vendor, request support, interact with our social media accounts or otherwise communicate with Vanta.
- How Vanta Uses Information
Service Data will be used by Vanta in accordance with the applicable MSA, Customer’s use of Services functionality, and as required by applicable law. Vanta is a processor of Service Data and Customer is the controller.
In addition, Vanta uses Information in furtherance of our legitimate interests in operating our Services, Websites, and business. More specifically, Vanta uses Information:
- To provide, update, maintain and protect our Services, Websites, and business. This includes use of Service Data and Other Information to support delivery of the Services under an MSA, prevent or address service errors, security or technical issues, analyze and monitor usage, trends and other activities, or at an Authorized User’s request.
- As required by applicable law, legal process, or regulation.
- To communicate with you by responding to your requests, comments, and questions. If you contact us, Vanta may use Information to respond.
- To develop and provide additional features. Vanta tries to make the Services as useful as possible for Customers and Authorized Users, and Vanta may use aggregated and anonymized Services Data and Other Information to develop new Services or improve existing Services.
- To send emails and other communications. Vanta may send you service, technical and other administrative emails, messages, and other types of communications. Vanta may also contact you to inform you about changes in our Services, our Services offerings, and important Services-related notices, such as security and fraud notices. These communications are considered part of the Services and you may not opt out of them. In addition, Vanta sometimes sends emails about new product features, promotional communications, or other news about Vanta. These are marketing messages so you can control whether you receive them. If you have additional questions about a message you have received from Vanta please reach out through the contact mechanisms described below.
- For billing, account management, and other administrative matters. Vanta may need to contact you for invoicing, account management, and similar reasons and Vanta uses account data to administer accounts and keep track of billing and payments.
- To investigate and help prevent security issues and abuse.
- Data Retention
Vanta will retain Service Data in accordance with the applicable MSA, Customer’s use of Services functionality, and as required by applicable law.
- How Vanta Shares and Discloses Information
This section describes how Vanta may share and disclose Information.
- Displaying and operating the Services. Because of the nature and functionality of the Services, Information will be displayed as part of the Services to Authorized Users in a Customer Instance. For example, information about which of Customer’s employees may have two-factor authentication enabled may be displayed as part of the Services.
- Third-party service providers and partners. Vanta may engage third parties as service providers or business partners to process Information and support our business. These third parties may, for example, provide virtual computing and storage services. To the extent necessary and applicable, these third-party service providers and partners will be bound by appropriate and commercially reasonable confidentiality obligations. Additional information about the subprocessors Vanta use to support delivery of our Services is set forth in our list of Vanta Subprocessors.
- Third-Party Services. Customer may enable or permit Authorized Users to enable Third Party Services. Vanta require each Third-Party Service to disclose all permissions for information access in the Services, but Vanta do not guarantee that they do so. When enabled and as requested by Customer, Vanta may share Information with Third-Party Services. Third-Party Services are not owned or controlled by Vanta and third parties that have been granted access to Information may have their own policies and practices for its collection, use, and sharing. Please check the permissions, privacy settings, and notices for these Third-Party Services or contact the service provider for any questions.
- Corporate affiliates. Vanta may share Information with its corporate affiliates, parents, and/or subsidiaries.
- During a change to Vanta’s business. If Vanta engages in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of Vanta’s assets or stock, financing, public offering of securities, acquisition of all or a portion of Vanta’s business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities, some or all Information may be shared or transferred, subject to appropriate and commercially reasonable confidentiality arrangements.
- Aggregated or de-identified data. Vanta may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified Information for any purpose. For example, Vanta may share aggregated or de-identified Information with prospects or partners for business or research purposes.
- To Comply with Laws. If Vanta receive a request for information, Vanta may disclose Other Information if Vanta reasonably believe disclosure is in accordance with or required by any applicable law, regulation, or legal process. Please see the Data Request Policy to understand how Vanta responds to requests to disclose data from government agencies and other sources.
- To enforce our rights, prevent fraud, and for safety. To protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of Vanta or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues.
- With consent. Vanta may share Information with third parties when Vanta has consent to do so.
Security is critical to Vanta’s mission, and Vanta takes security of data very seriously. Vanta works hard to protect Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the Information Vanta collects, processes, and store, and the current state of technology. Given the nature of communications and information processing technology, Vanta cannot guarantee that Information during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others. When you click a link to a third-party site, you will be leaving our site and Vanta doesn’t control or endorse what is on third-party sites.
- Age Limitations
To the extent prohibited by applicable law, Vanta does not allow use of our Services and Websites by anyone younger than 16 years old. If Vanta learns that anyone younger than 16 has unlawfully provided Personal Data, Vanta will take steps to delete such information.
- International Data Transfers
Vanta may transfer your Personal Data to countries other than the one in which you live - generally, from locations outside the United States to the United States. Vanta deploys the following safeguards if Vanta transfers Personal Data from jurisdictions with differing data protection laws:
- Data Protection Officer
To communicate with our Data Protection Officer, please email email@example.com.
- Identifying the Data Controller and Processor
Data protection law in certain jurisdictions differentiates between the “controller” and “processor” of information. In general, Customer is the controller of Service Data. In general, Vanta is the processor of Service Data and the controller of Other Information.
- Your Rights
Individuals located in certain countries, including the European Economic Area and the United Kingdom, have certain statutory rights in relation to their personal data. Subject to any exemptions provided by law, you may have the right to request access to Information, as well as to seek to update, delete or correct this Information. Contact the Customer who controls your workspace for additional access and assistance.
To the extent that Vanta’s processing of your Personal Data is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (or applicable laws covering the processing of Personal Data in the United Kingdom), Vanta relies on its legitimate interests, described above, to process your data. Vanta may also process Other Information that constitutes your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, and you have a right to object to Vanta’s use of your Personal Data for this purpose at any time.
- Your California Privacy Rights
This section provides additional details about the personal information Vanta collect about California consumers and the rights afforded to them under the California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA.”
Subject to certain limitations, the CCPA provides California consumers the right to request to know more details about the categories or specific pieces of personal information Vanta collects (including how Vanta uses and disclose this information), to delete their personal information, to opt out of any “sales” that may be occurring, and to not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
California consumers may make a request pursuant to their rights under the CCPA by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Vanta will verify your request using the information associated with your account, including email address. Government identification may be required. Consumers can also designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on their behalf.
- Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, you also have the right to (i) restrict Vanta’s use of Information that constitutes your Personal Data and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and believe Vanta maintains your Personal Data within the scope of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), please direct questions to email@example.com.
Once the United Kingdom is no longer a Member State of the European Union, if you are a resident of the United Kingdom and believe Vanta maintains your Personal Data within the scope of the applicable laws relating to personal data in the United Kingdom, you may direct questions or complaints to the UK supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Contacting Vanta
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at our mailing address below:
San Francisco, CA 94102